Google has been forced to clarify its response to a false-positive alert that claimed it was hosting the Google News application.
The software giant has issued a public apology, which was shared on its Google+ page on Thursday afternoon.
It was sent to users who had been using the GoogleNews application, but it was unclear how many had been affected.
In a statement, the search engine said that “some people may have been exposed to the false positive and it’s a mistake we’re working on”.
Google said the false-negative alert had been “misrepresented” and was not meant to affect any users.
It has also released the source code for Google News.
Users should be able to see the error message if they are looking for the news application on their Google account.
In the statement, Google said it had sent a team of engineers to review the incident and that the software giant was “committed to a robust and safe environment”.
“We’re committed to making sure that our tools are available to all to help us tackle any issues in the future.
We’ll be sharing more information soon,” it said.
The Google News app on Android.
Google said it was also working with the Office of Compliance to help ensure the software was safe for use in the workplace.
Google said that, as with any false-negatives, it would not recommend that anyone use Google News if they had any concerns.
“We’d love to know what you think,” Google wrote on its blog.
“If you see a false negative and think you may have had an exposure, please let us know via email or on our support forums.”